Ageless Eye Makeup in a Snap
Shakespeare once said, “The eyes are the window to your soul” and he couldn’t be more right. 9 times out of 10, the first feature we notice when meeting someone for the first time is their eyes. We want to see what they’re about right away and so many emotions and reactions are expressed through those two tiny spaces. It’s no surprise, then, that most women spend more time on our eyes when doing our makeup than any other feature!
Eye cream, primer, shadow, liner, mascara; it’s truly amazing how much energy and money we spend making sure those “windows” look as pretty as possible! Of course, just like the windows of a house, our eyes change and mature as the years go by and need to be decorated differently than when we were 20. Below are 10 dos and don’ts for truly ageless eye makeup.
DOs for Ageless Makeup
- DO stick to rich, hydrating formulas of eye shadow. Dry, powdery ones can draw attention to fine lines.
Top pick: Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Eyeshadow Stick
- DO treat the skin around your eyes just like you would your face! Serums, eye creams, and eye-safe SPFs will keep skin healthy and make cosmetics look even better.
- DO know your eye shape. Makeup should be applied differently based on your eye shape and you can find yours at https://www.ipsy.com/blog/what-is-my-eye-shape.
- DO use a primer! Just like when painting a house, a primer is an absolute necessity to ensure makeup lasts all day and won’t fall into and accentuate any skin imperfections.
Top pick: Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Anti-Aging. It also makes a fabulous primer before lipstick!
- DO apply eye makeup before any other makeup. No matter how carefully you apply it, chances are you’ll have to clean up a little mess, whether it’s shadow fallout or an eyeliner oops, so it’s always best to start your makeup application with your eyes to avoid unnecessary touch-ups of concealer, foundation, etc.
- DO take care of your brows! Those windows to your soul have curtains, you know, and the curtains need care as much as the windows do. As we mature, brows tend to grow sparser and the hairs thinner and can be easily filled in with brow pencils, pomades, and other tricks.
NOTE: While some women decide to get permanent brows, it is very important to understand that your face will change shape as you get older and the brows need to change shape with it to maintain symmetry. Yes, getting to ageless eye makeup includes eyebrows.
- DO treat your lashes. Just like your brows, lashes tend to get thinner and sparser as we age. Growth serums like Latisse and Peter Thomas Roth’s Lashes to Die For Turbo Conditioning Lash Enhancer have been shown to thicken, lengthen, and darken lashes over time.
Lashes to Die For Turbo Conditioning Lash Enhancer
- DO use an eyelash curler. Curling your eyes makes them appear wider and more open. Just make sure to curl them before applying mascara and be careful not to pull on your lashes!
Top pick: Shu Uemura
- DO apply concealer under your eyes to cover any dark circles. Choose one that’s 1-2 shades lighter than your skin for a bright, youthful glow, applying it in the shape of a V from just under your eyes down to the tops of your cheeks, then blend it into your skin.
Top pick: IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye Illumination Full Coverage Anti-Aging Waterproof Concealer
- DO apply a waterproof nude eyeliner to your bottom water line to make your eyes pop even more.
Top pick: MAKE UP FOR EVER Artist Color Pencil in Boundless Bisque
- DON’T wear heavily frosted shades as they can enhance the lines and make you look like you’re trying to be a teeny bopper. Nothing makes you look older than trying to look super young! Subtle shimmer is best. Ageless eye makeup doesn”t mean overbearing eye makeup.
- DON’T hold your eyelid up when applying makeup. While this is tempting on a hooded eye, it’s pointless because you eventually have to let the lid fall back down (I hope) and all your hard work will be hidden.
- DON’T match your eyeshadow to your eyes! Using the same color shadow as your eyes causes a battle for attention. Use complementary colors that enhance your natural beauty (https://www.vogue.com/article/how-to-choose-eyeshadow-colors-based-on-eye-colors).
- DON’T apply eyeshadow in thick layers. Little by little is best to give you more control and achieve the right level of intensity.
- DON’T go overboard with eyeliner. Creamy pencils are better than startling liquids and can be easily blended for a soft, sultry look.
- DON’T use a super heavy mascara. When lashes are thin, it’s harder for them to hold their shape when covered with a thick formula of mascara. Lighter ones will help lashes keep their youthful lift.
Top pick: Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes
- DON’T go overboard with brow tweezing and waxing. As mentioned earlier, brows thin as we get older and therefore require hair removal.
- DON’T forget to use the right tools! Would you use a hammer to try to replace a screw? Of course not! Just like any other job, applying makeup requires the proper tools, especially when it comes to the eyes. Different brushes are for applying and blending and will make all the difference in the world. Don’t panic, though; most are labeled so you know exactly which brush to use when. For our makeup brush tutorial, read our post How to Use Makeup Brushes to Easily Apply Makeup.
Top pick: SEPHORA COLLECTION Deluxe Brush Set This set also includes brushes for face makeup!
- DON’T forget to clean your brushes and other tools! Even healthy eyes can be hotbeds of bacteria, which is transferred to brushes with every use. For other tips on cleaning brushes, read our post How to Use Makeup Brushes to Easily Apply Makeup
Top pick: Beauty Blender Blender Cleanser Solid Unscented Sponge & Brush Cleanser
- DON’T forget to take your makeup off! Ever tempted to go to bed without washing your face? Nooooo! Your eyes move and blink continuously throughout the night, causing makeup to seep into the eyes, which may cause irritation. Not to mention one messy pillow case in the morning! Trust me, those 5 minutes it takes will be more than worth it. Remover and wipes
Top pick: Dior Eye and Lip Makeup Remover
Feeling lazy? Try Clinique Take The Day Off Micellar Cleansing Towelettes for Face & Eyes. No need to rinse!
What’s your favorite go-to product that showcases ageless eye makeup.? Tell us in the comments section below!