Spring has finally sprung and with that comes the yearly excitement of renewal, rebirth, and hope for the future, never more so than during this pandemic! And that excitement inevitably makes its way into our wardrobes; we hit the stores yearning for light, flowy dresses, cool tank tops, and fresh fabrics which promise that lazy summer days are right around the corner.
But, of course, this leads to a dilemma; what do we do with the outfits we no longer want or need? If you’re anything like me, you were brought up to be thrifty and economical so throwing or giving something away seems almost sacrilegious, especially since Earth Day became an annual worldwide holiday on April 22, 1970, with 1 billion people in more than 193 countries celebrating events by Earthday.org.
However, purging away the unnecessary clutter in your life can lead to a clearer vision, not just in your closet, but your life. Getting rid of the weight that bears you down includes excess clothes. Organizing your closet by purging unnecessary items and leaving only the best fitting, stylish, and most appealing apparel will result in a better you.
While purging clothes just as purging any excess from your life can be a daunting task, remember that, even though you are letting go of the past and things that brought comfort to your life, it is essential to remain completely focused on the future and where you want to go, not where you have been. Cleaning out your closet of old clothing will make room for a more modern organic space where you can grow and develop your style. What is available is exactly what you want and desire (not unlike life!). Make room for yourself to create a new uncluttered closet and get ready for amazing possibilities.
How to Purge
Pull every item of clothing from your closet. I do mean EVERY item; shoes, handbags, jackets, sneakers, accessories, EVERYTHING! Think Carrie Bradshaw in the film version of Sex in the City. Make four piles of apparel; Love, Sell, Donate, and Toss. Now, let’s get started.
To make the task easier, here are 10 questions to ask yourself when purging your closet to ensure you never waste a thing and even score a new spring wardrobe without a single scrap of guilt.
- Does it fit? Be honest! As Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear preached over and over again, dress the body you have, not the one you want!
- Is it worn? Can you see through tops that are not actually intended to be see-through? I hear the rag bag calling!
- Was it a gift? We all have that one relative (sometimes more than one) who we love dearly but who has the bad habit of gifting items we wouldn’t be caught dead in. Thankfully, everyone’s taste is different so chances are there’s someone in your life who will appreciate it. Um, just make sure they don’t know the person who gave it to you. “Awkward” isn’t quite the word for that situation.
- Do you love it? I mean, really love it? Impulse purchases are like lust at first sight; often a fleeting feeling that fades as soon as the price tags come off. If you find yourself groaning, “What was I thinking?”, it was never meant to be.
- Can you wear it more than once? Still holding on to your mother-of-the-bride dress from your daughter’s wedding 10 years because you spent beaucoup bucks on it? Ask yourself if you’ll honestly ever wear it again. If you live in jeans and a T-shirt, probably not.
- How does it make you feel? Clothes are merely a reflection of how we want to feel. There have been times when I’ve felt thoroughly awkward and uncomfortable in an outfit even while everyone around me is exclaiming how fabulous I look and other times when I’m wearing a simple $10 tank top that makes me feel like 10 million dollars.
- How versatile is it? A good rule of thumb is that a truly versatile item can be used with at least 3 different outfits.
- Is it practical? Will you actually wear those 4 inch heels?
- Is it seasonal? Seasonal clothes should be kept to a minimum. Unless you go to the beach every day with your kids, chances are you’ll only need one swimsuit to get you through the summer, not five.
- Do you know someone who will love it? They say change is the only constant thing in life and that’s never more true than when you’re talking about fashion. How many trends have you seen come and go? And come again? And go again? Chances are, you have something hanging around from the last 80s or 90s craze that doesn’t fit but that your daughter or granddaughter would die for the next time the fad comes around (which won’t be long).
Plus Size Consignment Stores
Congratulations, you’ve purged your closet! Now what? I promised you no waste and consignment stores will be your new best friends to keep that promise. Google “plus size consignment stores” in your area or check out online ones such as Curvy Chic Closet, Diva Plus Consignment, Back By Popular Demand, or Fat Fancy Fashions. Consignment shops are a phenomenal way to make some money from your purge and bag some bargain new items at the same time!
Don’t forget to consider donating to thrift stores such as the Goodwill or Salvation Army. Remember, one girl’s trash is another girl’s treasure.
For more details on consignment stores, check out our previous post Why Buy at Plus Size Resale and Consignment Stores
Hashtags: #CurvyChicCloset #bbpdconsignment #fatslutsummer
#summeroutfits #springoutfitideas #myootd #quarantineoutfit #plussizefashion #plussizefashionista #curvygirlstyle #everybodydeserveslove #celebratemysize #earthday2021 #earthdayeveryday #savetheplanet #consignment #resale
Until Next Time…